White Band / Level 10
|Format||15x21cm, 32pg, SB|
|ISBN 978-1-84886-390-3 RRP £5.99|
The Magic Helmet: A Viking Adventure
When Harry arrives at his grandma’s house, he thinks life can’t get more boring. But after Harry puts on a magic helmet he finds in the garden, he’s transported back in time to when the Vikings ruled the seas. Will Harry find his way home?
White Band Structure
- No specific phonic structure to these books, as children should be able to work out most reasonably common words without difficulty.
- Vocab choices are appropriate to this young readership and not too complex or demanding
- More scope for complex inference creeping in – e.g. sometimes the reader may need to read between the lines, or may know something the characters do not, or the author may set up unusual twist or surprise ending.
- Stories are slightly longer and more complex than before and bring in knowledge from outside the story in order to understand it.
- As above, though stories are becoming more varied in plot as well as sentence structure, sometimes including some more literary or stylised language where appropriate.