Pink Band / Level 1
|Format||15x21cm, 32pg, SB|
|ISBN 978-1-84886-248-7 RRP £5.99|
Peck, Hen, Peck and Ben's Pet
Peck, Hen, Peck!
Tom has a hen in his backpack but then hen can peck!
Ben has a new pet but what is it?
Pink Band Structure
- 30-50 words, two stories per book with information pages for each.
- 19 single letter phonemes: s a t p i n m d g o c k e u r b f l h, and 4 consonant digraphs: ck ff ll ss.
- Mostly single-syllable words with a few two-syllable words that conform to these rules, e.g. rab/bit, lap/top.
- Only one simple sentence, one speech bubble or one caption per page. Repetitive sentences using familiar, natural language that children would be used to. In order to achieve natural language and tell the story, up to five words that are not high frequency and not decodable may be included Any non-decodable words are represented in the artwork to help children work them out.
- Children at this level often find reading quite ‘new’ and stressful, so story lines are kept fun, humourous and familiar